Indonesia's typical chicken stew with coconut milk. Calories indicated is for a quarter of a whole chicken.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time1 hr 30 mins
Total Time2 hrs
Servings: 4 people
- 8 pieces French shallots (red onions)
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp coriander seed powder
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 5 pieces candle nuts (or macadamia nuts)
Additional spice (add as a whole)
- 7 gr ginger (peeled, crushed)
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 25 gr galangal (optional) (shoresh galangali, not to be confused with shoresh yerushalmi)
- 2 pieces kfir limes leaves/ lemon leaves/ etrog leaves
- 2 pieces bay leaves
Coconut milk mixture
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 200 ml water
Put the candle nuts, French shallots, garlic, pepper powder, coriander seed powder, and salt into the food processor to make a thick consistent paste.
Pour the vegetable oil into a pan, and heat it. When hot, pour the spice paste into it and stir fry. Do not stop stirring. Move fast. Add to it the additional spices: ginger, galangal, bay leaves and lemongrass, and kfir lime/ etrog/ lemon leaves. Keep stirring for 4-5 minutes or until fragrant.
Mix coconut milk and water, pour into pan. Stir to mix with spice paste. Put in the chicken parts one by one, making sure that every piece of chicken is partly immersed into the mixture.
Cook for 1.5 hours or until chicken is tender.